Case of the Mondays?
Whatcha gonna do about it?
Make some muffins!
My favorite muffin is blueberry, and I’ve been looking for a recipe to call my go-to for some time now. Now, if you’re not a fan of whole wheat goodness, these may not be the muffins for you, and I’ll be the first to admit these aren’t those beautiful, cake-like numbers you’ll find at Starbucks, but I loved ’em.
And while I won’t call off the quest just yet, these definitely made Monday much better.
Oatmeal Blue-n-Blackberry Applesauce Muffins
Adapted from Annie’s Eats
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 individually-sized container unsweetened applesauce (original recipe calls for a cup)
1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt (original recipe calls for 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup blueberries (I subbed in some blackberries since I ran out of blue’ early)
1. Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine applesauce, yogurt, egg, oil, and brown sugar.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, and stir together until they are just combined (don’t over-mix or your muffins won’t rise well)
5. Add the fruit and gently fold in with a spatula.
6. Add to your muffin pan and bake for 16-18 minutes until a knife inserted comes out clean.
7. Monday Improved!