Why is it my new favorite? It’s all in the secret ingredient: cocoa powder.
Cocoa-laced Banana Bread
Adapted from Zoe Bakes
Yield: 2 loaves; instead I baked 12 muffins and a mini loaf
- 2 cups ripe bananas, mashed (the riper, the better)
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour + 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tb unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I subbed in about 1/3 cup of Greek yogurt instead)
- optional: walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cocoa. Set aside
- In a large bowl, beat together sugars and eggs with a hand mixer on medium speed for approx. 4 mins.
- Mix in vanilla and yogurt using a whisk (or beat on low for one minute)
- Alternate adding dry ingredients and bananas to the sugar-egg mix, stirring with a spatula until just combined. Add nuts if using, and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pans. If baking loaves, bake for an hour, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. For muffins, bake about 15 minutes, test, and if still not finished add 5 minutes — keeps your nose on the alert!