This sauce deserves its own post because I have already made it outside of the lasagna context from which I got the recipe (coming soon). So easy. So fast. So delicious!
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Yield: approx. 4 cups sauce
4 cups skim milk
1 large clove of garlic, minced
1 stick of butter (8 Tablespoons)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. In a medium saucepan, combine milk and garlic and bring to a simmer. Once heated set aside.
2. In another medium saucepan, melt butter (if you like, until it become brown butter).
3. Add flour and whisk vigorously. Cook for 1-2 minutes, whisking all the while. This is your your roux.
4. Gradually add the milk to the roux, whisking all the while, until you have added all of the milk.
5. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg, and keep whisking until your sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
6. Serve over pasta, use in lasagna.